Saturday, July 9, 2011

Boston Day 1

Emily had work the next morning so she was gone before I got up. Katie and I had some breakfast then went downtown to Boston. We parked at Heidi's place which was only 10 min from the T (train). Heidi drove us to the T which took us to the city. We got off at Park Street and walked for the next 5.5 hours---saw many old capital buildings. Aquarium, had Emack and Bolio frozen yogurt (most famous in Boston) (I had raspberry chip--delicious), went to Lil' Italy at the North end, saw the ocean, sat at the marina for a little rest, went to Chinatown, and I saw the famous Faneuil Hall Marketplace (indoor/outdoor market which sells every type of food you could possibly think of----in addition to all the fresh fruit/veggie/meat markets surrounding it, I have never seen so much variety in one strip---they had everything here). Now the market was crammed with people so it was a struggle to get through the crowds, but the smells were incredibly appetizing.
I walked the Freedom Trail a little---which has numerous state buildings, including the old state house, Paul Revere's Memorial, Copley Place, and Prudential Center. I saw the Holocaust Museums/Memorial (what a beautifully designed memorial---it was glass pillars with all the numbers of all the individuals who died and quotes written that were just devastation and break-taking). What a historical city.
It was a beautiful day out---very sunny but also breezy to keep it cool. We walked thru the Public Gardens and Commons (baseball fields and hills of grass--very refreshingly beautiful) and went to check out Cheers. I remember watching the show, but the restaurant has altered the bar a bit, however still gives the same feel as the show. Then Heidi picked us up and we went to Shaw Grocery for a BBQ. We made some turkey burgers, corn on the cob, chips and carrots----mmmm it was a great dinner after a long day of walking. We talked and ate outside in her yard, enjoying the beautiful evening. Since I left my bags at Katies, we headed back to Katies that night which took about an hour. By the time we got back, we were exhausted and ready for bed. What a day in Boston!


No comments:

Post a Comment